Knowledge And Expertise – Advanced KM Techniques
Duration: One-day workshop
Theme: Using knowledge management (KM) to share knowledge and expertise within an organization / effective methods for knowledge transfer.
Who Should Attend: Senior and front-line managers and professionals interested in innovative and effective ways to support knowledge transfer in organizations (attendees should already have an understanding of KM concepts. If you are unfamiliar, we will provide pre-reading materials to help you prepare).
Content: An important feature of many KM programs is creating and sharing expertise. Mentor relationships, in which individuals or teams are linked with subject matter experts, are commonly used to transfer knowledge. In small organizations where staff work closely together, this is easily done through informal mechanisms. However, as resources become more spread out and workers rely on virtual technologies to collaborate with one another, organizations need to consider how to systematically link and access knowledge and expertise.
By participating in small discussion groups, working through exercises and developing a knowledge transfer action plan for your organization, you will learn more about KM approaches to knowledge transfer.
Skills and Knowledge You Will Gain in this Course:
- Explore the concept of knowledge and expertise using a knowledge market model
- Learn about organizational knowledge mapping
- Use market-based concepts of knowledge buyers, sellers and brokers, to examine how knowledge sharing occurs
- Examine approaches to finding and qualifying knowledge and expertise
- Discuss approaches to support knowledge brokers and intermediaries in organizations
- Understand how to use knowledge directories and online Yellow Pages
- Create conditions to support knowledge exchange (based on a social capital framework)
- Develop a preliminary knowledge and expertise action plan for your organization
Return to course catalogue.